From February 19th through March 12th we'll be teaching a special series titled "Made" and we’ll be talking about Sex. When it comes to sex, students have certain ideas and expectations of what it should—or shouldn’t—be about. But what if all those thoughts and ideas are actually missing the mark? In this series, as we take a look at God’s design for sex, we’ll discover that there’s more to it than we think. We fully recognize students are at varying levels of maturity and awareness of the topics we will be discussing. We also know that parents are at varying levels of conviction and preference when it comes to the best way to approach this topic. So, here are a few clarifying points about this series:
- This series is not a “sex ed course”.
- This series is a conversation on God’s design for sex.
- This series is not rated G.
- This series is rated PG-13. There will be honest conversations about the impact of sexual activity in our world, but in a way that honors God.
- This series is not just about sex.
- This series is about finding a deep fulfillment that is only found in a healthy relationship with God and the role sexual purity/integrity can play in that healthy relationship.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, this series IS NOT intended to take the place of conversations that should be happening between students and parents. It IS intended to come alongside conversations that we hope are taking place between students and parents. As we address this topic, there may be some valuable opportunities for dialogue to be opened between parents and students. In an effort to help keep you in the loop, that’s what I have attached each lesson and small group questions, so you have all the info we will be teaching during YFI. I will also be sending a weekly email with sample dialog to help you bring up the topic at home.
*** ONLY 6th -12th graders will be participating in this series. The 5th graders will be doing a series called Made but it is designed for 4th and 5th graders and talks about being "made in the image of God." Those lessons are detailed below.***